Donna’s Tips for a Smooth Move
- Get written estimates from 3 movers. Beware of estimates that are too good to be true. Be sure to read the fine print before signing a contract.
- Donate or discard any items or clothes that you will not take to your new home.
- Stock up on supplies for packing: boxes, packing tape, magic markers, labels, etc.
- Number each box and log the contents. Label each box with the room where it will be placed.
- Approximately 3 weeks before the move, arrange to have utilities disconnected at your current home and hooked up at your new one.
- Consider boarding your pets for moving day.
- Cancel newspaper delivery and fill out a change of address form at the post office.
- If you take medications, be sure you have enough if you are changing pharmacies.
- Pack valuables such as jewelry separately and transport them yourself.
- Call your insurance company to let them know your plans. Find out what your policy covers that the moving company's may not cover.
- After the movers have packed, go through to check for items left behind. Check yard items, shed, kitchen cabinets, drawers, behind doors, under cabinets in bath, attic, crawl space, etc.